View from the Room - The Hub, Edinburgh
Every now and again, I have the privilege to stay in a hotel where I find myself thinking, 'why doesn't everybody make rooms like this?'
The Hub concept from Premier Inn is one of those hotels. Yes it is a pod and therefore teeny tiny xxx square meter place but oh so lovely and on Rose Streer, right behind the Oxford Street of Edinburgh and basically next door to M&S and the Jenners (House of Fraser). The bed is high and small - barely a double - and yet comfy. It has loads of space underneath for a big deep drawer plus room for two suitcases or anything else you want to throw down there. The space even has a light which is when you know, they have thought of everything.
A claustrophobic bod like me was fine in the small space for 3 nights, but only because we managed to bag a window room.
We got used to sleeping quite high up although I was pretty conscious of falling out of the bed as it's so much smaller than what we're used to
- Secret hanging space behind full length mirror and a mini shelf above
- Large deep drawer under bed
- Large lit up space under bed 2 fit up to 2 medium suitcases
- Slim shelf along 1 side of bed (phone sized)
- Long shelf at the bottom of bed complete with a pull out 'desk' to extend it further
- 5 hotel hangers (inc skirt hangers)
- Large smart TV on wall (we managed to connect via bluetooth on phone but not via laptop)
- tub armchair
This is a decent size with a large shower.
- Detachable shower and a large monsoon shower (awkward to pick one from the controls though)
- Large mirror
- Small sufficient sink
- 2 little shelves underneath to suit toiletry bags
- Large space around sink
- Tiny shelf along wall
- 2 towels. 1 hand towel. Bath mat. All very absorbent and hard-wearing
- Hand wash & shower gel attached to walls
- Air con
- Plenty of sockets plus 2 USBs along bed wall. Sockets by mirror & desk plus a European socket
- Excellent lighting with several options all controlled by the pad by the bed. Perfect for getting up in the night and not putting the bright main lights on!
- Two complimentary water bottles upon arrival
- Complimentary hot & cold water, teas and instant coffee in lounge bar available 24/7
- An excellent buffet breakfast with push button coffees, juices, a variety of pastries and toast, granola, fruit & yogurt all for £5 per person. This worked out at absolutely stunning value for money.
Service was excellent throughout. There is a check-in machine but staff were on the desk throughout regardless.
- Upgrade to window room effortless but not able to pre-book this
- Two lifts that were quick and always seemed to be there or stairs next door.
The Hub suited us perfectly for 3 nights and we'll definitely be looking out for other locations - if just for the super-value breakfast!