View from the Room: Citadines, Shinjuku Tokyo
I've had the joy of staying in some amazing hotels over the years and this one is going to linger on in my memory as the amenities in it are fault-less. Everything worked exactly how it should and everything was in the right place.
Less than 10 minutes’ walk – that’s in the heat!- from nearest metro Shinjuku Gyoemmae (Marunouchi line) which is pretty much along one street lined with cafes and shops. Branches of 7-11 and Lawson’s within a couple of minutes work for snacks or emergencies. Or its 15 minutes’ walk from all the Shinjuku action and another metro stop.
We had a good sized modern room in this apartment hotel with a double bed (definitely not king but ample) which looked out to the city from our 12th (top floor) window. A screen semi separates the bed from the lounge and the rest of the room.
Small sofa that turns into a bed so the apartment can sleep 3.
Kitchenette with small fridge, microwave, kettle, toaster, one ring hob plus crockery, glassware and chop sticks for 3 people. Enough cookware to rustle up meals if required.
Room is warm enough to dry towels and even clothes. Great to this during the day when out and crank up the air con as needed in the evening.
- Iron and board
- Bidet toilet (this is Japan!)
- Two wonderfully cool kimonos
- Air con that worked perfectly - I've never known such a thing!
- Two pairs of spa slippers
- Other gadgets I didn’t identify!
- Two moveable waste bins
- CD/DVD in our double studio
- Car park (not used)
- Breakfast as extra served in their lovely reception/café space (not taken)
- Gym (not used)
- Laundrette – no need to take detergent as its automated for the 40-minute quick wash (300 ¥ - change available in reception)
- Double wardrobe with room on top and shelving with 10 assorted quality wooden hangers.
- Dressing table/desk with mini shelves above (and across the room)
- Headboard doubles as a sturdy shelf instead of bedside tables.
- Floor to ceiling mini cupboard with shelves by front door
- Floor to ceiling double cupboard with shelves by window
- Kitchen cupboards
Generally, storage in all the right places
Power points: Well placed around the room; one side of the bed, near bathroom sink (outside bathroom) and desk.
- Towels – two soft bath towels and two hand towels on the towel rail. Bath mat.
- Small deep bath which is actually perfect after a long day walking (this is a walking city)
- Handheld shower overhead
- Full-size shampoo, conditioner and shower gel
- Decent-sized basin outside bathroom
- Kettle with bowl of sachets of tea, coffee, sugar
- Two bottles of water
- Mirrors in the right places including a well-lit one over the sink (outside the bathroom) sand inside wardrobe
- Dressing table and a chair
Relax & Sleep
- Sofa and small high table so OK to eat on
- TV on wall viewed from sofa or bed (Some American channels and BBC for English speakers)
- DVD player
- Clock radio.
- Double bed with one warm duvet, 4 pillows, spares in wardrobe. (Housekeeping kindly left a sheet for us after realising we were more comfortable using duvet cover as a sheet - otherwise, it was too warm!)
Access: three lifts, including one with wheelchair priority.
Lighting: Just perfect. All lights switched on individually:
- 2 bedside lamps, headboard light and overhead light.
- Kitchen, lounge, bedroom, basin and desk all have own lights
Service: Excellent welcome and service throughout!
Room cleaned impeccably every day, which we proved to be a lovely surprise we weren't expecting for an apartment hotel. On the one day, we used 'Do not Disturb', housekeeping left a note to check we did want room service after all. Such typical Japanese politeness!
Do you need to know anything else? Please drop me a line or tweet @RickieWrites